Seriously, you should stand more.
The Dude has been dropping some healthy living knowledge recently. Although, now that I mention that, what qualifies me to drop health knowledge?
Nothing, really. Other than the fact I’ve been trying to develop a healthy lifestyle for myself for many moons. As I mentioned, I was a certified personal trainer, but that just means I passed a test; I never used it as an occupation. But I have been researching and developing my healthful approach to life for years.
So, bam. I just qualified myself. Maybe all the book knowledge from The Man just gets in health professionals’ way anyway.
But back to the subject of this post, from someone that has no qualifications to discuss this subject; standing. You should stand more.
I’ll preface this post by saying that this may seem a bit strange, but challenging the status qua is a good thing. Strange is a good thing. Embrace it.
I came across this “stand more” idea a while ago, and I committed to standing at my home computer about a year ago. I sit all day at work, so standing at home made complete sense after I dug into it a bit.
Although, I kept sitting at work. I guess I let the strangeness “stand in my way” – you like that play on words?
A couple weeks ago I started standing at work too. And I love it. I vary between sitting and standing, but that’s probably because I don’t have a standing desk to be comfortable at. Here’s what the Dude is rocking for his standing desk…
I’m standing more than sitting these days, and it’s super rad. My butt hurts if I sit for much time now.
But (bam, playing on words), don’t take my word for it. Check out all of this stand-up cheer-leading…
- My favorite mobility dude giving a glowing expose on standing.
- Mayo clinic dude – aka MD, PhD: The Extreme Dangers of Sitting.
- Check out this quote: Americans spend more than half their waking hours sitting — primarily watching TV, driving and working at a desk.
- I think it’s safe to say we didn’t evolve to where we are by sitting 50% of our waking hours. Primal anyone?
- Kottke.org and TheWirecutter.com giving Stand-up desks some props.
- Mashable’s blunt title for their high-five to standing: The More You Sit, The Sooner You’ll Die
- ScienceDaily.com: Stand-up, You’re Life Could Depend on It.
- Great post from Mark’s Daily Apple (eh hem, primal.) with 16 tips for deck jockeys.
- Ernest Hemmingway at his stand-up desk – makes the Dude’s stand-up desk almost look good…almost.
- Last, but not least, a great infographic about the “The Harm of Sitting Constantly” – love the deathly graphics – aka “Sitting is Killing You.
You should stand more.