There’s only one person who can take care of you. You.
The other day I mentioned that I was going to expand Dude Knows Best to include some more of the “Dude’s Flow” – i.e. anything that the Dude is currently into. Maintaining my core focus on family life, but also including the Dude’s hobbies of the moment.
Nobody sticks the Dude in the corner.
One of the topics I’ll throw out there from time to time is health. That’s a broad category, but we’ll narrow it down from time to time.
Let’s start with mobility. Strange place to start a discussion on health? Not really. We all need to move well, and to do that we need to focus on maintenance. Mobility is one of the foundations of good health.
Mobility may not seem as exciting as diet and exercise, but the results are immediate and often overlooked.
“All human beings should be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves” - Kelly Starrett, DPT
I love stretching and yoga, but there’s a lot more to mobility than stretching. We need to have a consistent focus on maintaining our bodies. It feels great – in a painful way – and you’ll thank yourself for the effort.
This Kelly Starrett cat is legit. His videos are quick and packed with practical info you can use on a regular basis.
Don’t get caught up in every detail of every video. Or get overloaded on info too quickly. Pick the info that makes sense for you.
Two pieces that I’ll point out:
- This couch stretch is amazing. Do it while you watch tv. It will hurt…a lot. But that means it’s working. Your hips need to be opened. And this will do it.
- And Kelly is entertaining – “Patting the dog…that’s what we’re talking about.”
- Get a lacrosse ball – or “pain ball” as Kelly calls it. Start a regular practice of deep tissue massage. You have knots that need to be worked out. It will hurt. But also feel great.
- The video is of the shoulder, but this works for all muscle groups.
- And Kelly is entertaining. “Don’t ever pass out drunk on your lacrosse ball.”
Take care of yourself.